Monday, June 30, 2008

OK - fellow bloggers...

I am in need of some advice:

Matt and I are not very "organized" people, but it drives me crazy!!! I am very much a NEAT FREAK and a GERM-A-PHOBE.
"They" say you are either a "filer or a piler" - well, Matt and I are both "pilers". There is just little piles of junk in every room. It's funny because I consider myself to be pretty organized w/ my life and day to day stuff, but when it comes to the house... Like I said - we're pilers. :) ha!

I have started with the easiest room in the house and working my through to the GARAGE (thanks for that advice Anna May)! I have a "designated table" where I put things on that doesn't belong in that room... that way I don't leave the room and get side tracked. My little sister came over yesterday and we did the formal living/dining.... AND part of the family room. Today, I have finished the family room and began working on the kitchen. Going through the pantry and each cabinet... WHEW, it's exhausting!
If any of you know me AT ALL - you know my serious chocolate addiction. I am not going to let myself eat ANY chocolate until I complete 1 room. My goal is to get one room done per day.

Any advice you have... PLEASE send it on over :). I would love any TIPS you can give us to help us get organized and maintain it.

3 comments:

Griffins said...

I have some great ideas to help you guys! I will email you...I wrote about 10 ideas here..and when I tried to upload my comment...it wasn't there!! argh!
Miss you! xoxoxoxo

Griffins said...

Wooo...it worked!
Let's try this again.
1. Use a label maker, and label EVERYTHING! If things have a real "place/home" people are more likely to return them to the proper place
2. Use bins for things. XL to pencil box size. Use for as much as possible (and label them all)
3. Keep a donation box in garage or in spare closet, use it! Promise yourself, and make Matt do this too!, when you buy something-you MUST THROW SOMETHING AWAY! Sounds silly, but it works.
4. ONLY buy something if you LOVE IT!
5. Purge! Just do it! It becomes a liberating feeling after you get used to it! Plus, MATT, it's a tax deduction!

Griffins said...

6. Closet-This is my toughest challenge. Start with color. Follow the rainbow. Tank tops, all in a row from white to black with all colors ROYGBIV in between.
Move on to short sleeve shirts, then long sleeve. Fold jeans and place on shelf or in drawer, hang if you have room. Move on to dresses, skirts, etc. Amazing how much the color arrangign helps. And, my pet peeve..when you take something down to wear it put the hanger IMMEDIATELY in a designated "empty hanger" area. When you do laundry this comes in handy! You go to one place to grab hangers! Yeah!
7. More notes on "Bins"
Have bins ready for things you do regularly, like soccer, gym, shopping, beach, baby, sleepovers, etc. Then you grab that bin and place in car. When you get home you have one thing to take out, refill and it's ready for your next excursion.

Will write more ideas later. I also suggest checking out Martha Stewart and organizeit.com. xoxoxo